The information below is as accurate and complete as I can make it, but particularly in the case of foreign-language editions it can be difficult to verify such things as exact publication dates. Artworks on this page remain the property of their respective copyright holders; in most cases, this will be the illustrator or photographer who created the image.
• First edition hardcover (pictured at right) published 1988 by The Atlantic Monthly Press. Jacket design by Chip Kidd; jacket illustration by Andrew Paquette. This edition had a single printing of roughly 4000 copies.
• Mass market paperback published 1989 by Warner Books. Cover design by Barbara Buck; hand lettering by Michèle Brinson; cover illustration by Bob Zuba.
• Trade paperback reprint published 1998 by Grove Press. Cover design by Charles Rue Woods; cover illustration by Clifford Alejandro; cover typography by Miguel Santana.
• UK hardcover published 1989 by Bloomsbury Publishing. The jacket used a variation of the American cover art with the panels rearranged and a white rather than black background.
• German-language hardcover published 1991 by Carl Hanser Verlag. Translation by Ditte König and Giovanni Bandini.
• German-language trade paperback published 1993 by Deutscher Taschenbuch Verlag.
• Polish-language trade paperback (pictured at left), retitled Glupiec na wzgórzu, published 1998 [?] by Prószyński I S-ka. Translation by Ewa Gorządek. Cover art by Ryszard Ronowski.